Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Loco-motivating Train


Rushing on a pair of iron, streaking through the dark nights, it took me places. It may have physically transported me only a certain distance, but from where it helped me open the vistas of my mind. It took me, to a life beyond, widening my avenues, showing the world to me.

A plentiful of my life journey’s literally and figuratively have began with its huge amber light and blaring engines arriving on to the lone platform of my sleepy town. Heading out of home, the times when the clinking of its iron wheels muffled my sobs, the charging wind flying away with the solitary tear, the feel of its cold window rods soothing my aching heart are many. Gradually, its constant clanking transported my hopes and aspirations faster than it could drop me off on platform 8 at Bangalore. Homeward journeys always began with me hopping onto it. The clatter of its numerous iron wheels would not disturb my sleep until it brought me home through the night and took me back to the hustle of the city. The paths it has taken me on, the paths it has traveled with me on are also many.
My journeys with Hampi Express 

Embarking onto each day of his livelihood, would my dad step on it and return from it. The calls he made each morning to ascertain its position so he wouldn’t miss meeting it. Others like him, its usual regulars, became a part of his life over the years.

 It became synonyms with our lives, mine and my family’s, THE HAMPI EXPRESS. When it derailed, it jolted me out of my reverie that tragedies, like the parallel irons of a railway track never would meet with my life.  Never had any mishap effected me the way this one did, given the frequency at which it is a part of a journey of atleast one of my family on any given date, the news shook me, to core.

My hearts reeled today with the impact of the news, for it is true, that when tragedy strikes near home is when its measure is truly sensed. The fragility of life looms clearer with a heightened sensitivity while the frivolity at life’s inevitable decadence diminishes. 

1 comment:

  1. The ridiculousness is these need not happen. these are fixable. there are solutions out there. our apathy has made life cheap in this country.

    ReplyDelete